Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this info via Car and Driver and thought I should post it along with asking some questions.
Powertrain: Like the Discovery Sport and the Range Rover Evoque, the E-Pace will use a turbocharged inline-four, likely plucked from JLR's new Ingenium engine family. A ZF-sourced nine-speed automatic transmission will be standard and help extract the most from whatever engine Jaguar chooses; all-wheel drive, naturally, will be included.
The Range Rover Evoques turbo four pot makes 240hp. That's not much of an issue but the turbo lag does seem to be one. Even from a rolling start of 5-60mph, it took the Evoque 9.3 seconds which is pretty long.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-jaguar-e-pace-crossover-spy-photos-news

·
Registered
299 Posts
It could get better since right now there's no confirmation. One way this could improve is if they offer a 10-speed transmission. Lexus is already using one and its the "new" thing for the industry when it comes to green car applications. If there's any way jag can get a better competitive edge, a 10 speed setup can help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heavens I don't think anyone now is using anything less than 10 gears haha. But can't see why they can't utilize a 10 or 11 speed even and it'll help greatly for the fuel econ of it. Hoping they deal with that turbo lag though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not even the F-Pace has a 10 gear transmission, right now it's using an 8‑speed automatic transmission. Still good enough for me so long as I don't feel any throttle lag.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out, had to look it up and it has to do with the ability of the intake system to quickly get air and fuel to the engine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is that, but the biggest thing is the electronic signal that gets sent from the pedal to the throttle body to open up. Back when it was cable, it was direct because as soon as you barely tipped the pedal, the cable has the tension and immediately pulls open the throttle body plate. Now without that, the electronics aren't able to do it that well enough straight from factory.

There is a lot more of a technical explanation but generally, it's a signal thing and how they come from factory.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Discovery Sport is a bit better with a time of 7.3 sec going from 0-60mph. So long as the E-Pace isn't too beefy, then accelerations shouldn't be a problem..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That doesn't sound too bad... I don't need a racecar by any means but having some good get up and go is always fun and very helpful in certain situations

·
Registered
133 Posts
The five seater Discovery Sport has a weight of 3,878 lbs, so long as the E-Pace is around that range then it shouldn't be too slow on the uptake. Jaguar is all about performance these days, so I doubt the E-Pace will feel slow.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it'll be pretty nimble. Jaguar is real competitive and their performance attributes of their lineup is steadily increasing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Jaguar has set a high standard for themselves with the new XE and F-Pace. Futures buyers will be looking for a similar bang for their buck kind of deal with the E-Pace in terms of performance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For sure and the main thing with these because they'll be driven around so heavily is reliability and I can't remember the last time I heard any issues with JLR and engine dependability.

Has anyone heard of any big issues Jaguar currently has with their engines?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Only thing I heard was poor acceleration from the F-Pace. But that might be more of someone coming from a higher powered vehicle and downgraded to the F-Pace, in terms of power.

From what I noticed ever since Tata acquired Jaguar they have been improving a lot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Slow acceleration definitely isn't something I would consider an issue as it's really a user-preference thing and a lot of people expect way too much out of a product which is another problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm not expecting it to rocket off from a standstill, but good enough to make merging into freeway traffic stress free and to make the drive more enjoyable. Not the most enjoyable ride when you feel like the car is going nowhere.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I highly doubt it would be anything close to that. It's not a Prius and you really don't need to get too fast when trying to merge on the highway. I'm sure a product coming from Jaguar won't be lacking in the power and drivability department at all for everyday driving

·
Registered
299 Posts
If the Jaguar XE is any indication then we'll be fine here, even the smaller displacement diesel versions sold in Europe get great acceleration. We just have to watch out for what engines/transmissions official make it to the e-pace, that will tell us the whole story.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Seems like the ingenium engine is reserved for Jaguar's higher output models, so it is unlikely to make its way into models like the E-Pace. Maybe a de-tuned one in the future from the older 2017 XE 25t?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts