Thoughts on Jaguar Land Rover partnering with BMW to build engines? - Jaguar E-Pace Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JagMan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thoughts on Jaguar Land Rover partnering with BMW to build engines?

This is some interesting news that I came across. Jaguar Land Rover is partnering with BMW to develop electric and internal combustion engines.

"The recently agreed alliance between Jaguar Land Rover and BMW is set to be extended to include internal combustion engines, a source with knowledge of recent high-level discussions between the two car makers has told Autocar.

The two firms initially agreed to work together on the development of electrified powertrains, but according to sources they have now agreed terms on what is described as a “more far-reaching deal involving petrol, diesel and hybridised drivelines” for a wide range of models.

According to Autocar’s sources, BMW is to supply Jaguar Land Rover with internal combustion engines, including in-line four- and six-cylinder units “both with and without electrically-assisted hybrid functions”.

The move is said to be aimed at allowing Jaguar Land Rover to reduce its on-going investment in petrol, diesel and hybrid drivelines and instead focus its research and development spending on the electric drivelines in partnership with BMW.

For BMW the deal safeguards existing research and development, procurement and production operations by adding volume beyond its own brands, BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce.

News of the internal combustion engine deal being forged by Jaguar Land Rover and BMW comes at a time when regulatory authorities in key global markets are raising emission standards with particular focus on CO2 and NOx levels to combat air pollution. Thus raising the level of spending required to engineer petrol, diesel and hybrid drivelines.

By joining forces on both electric and internal combustion engine drivelines, Jaguar Land Rover and BMW hope to reap the rewards of increased economies of scale while sharing development costs to remain competitive."

How does everyone feel with this new partnership? I think it's a smart business move but I'm curious to see how it affects Jaguars going forward.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 AM

As long as its done right and Jaguar uses the excess R&D to improve other areas, then it will be a great move.
MWE22 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagMan View Post
As long as its done right and Jaguar uses the excess R&D to improve other areas, then it will be a great move.
I agree I think this partnership could be very beneficial, as long as JLR doesn't take everything from BMW's parts bin and puts their badge on it.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:00 AM

Now that's a tough thing to consider.
It can go either way and we haven't seen examples of it yet.

What from BMW are you hoping will find its way here?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page