P200 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Grey - Jaguar E-Pace Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

P200 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Grey

Two weeks of ownership tomorrow and so far so good. Stops, starts and goes. Nothing has dropped off yet. Only issue was noticed on delivery was that only one of the rear indicators is animated. Left animated, right - normal blink. Dealer will need some time to look at it, but for me it isn't worth a trip to the dealer until its first service. I've got the indicators set to Normal for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Pace-Front.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	111   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Pace-Rear.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	113   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Pace-Home.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	115  

2020 E-Pace P200 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Grey
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 03:45 PM

People are the problem.

Jaguar should move their factory to another country and cut ties permanently with anybody who has worked in the assembly plant.

The design can't be the problem decade after decade. Factory level hand labor apparently is.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiwaKika View Post
People are the problem.

Jaguar should move their factory to another country and cut ties permanently with anybody who has worked in the assembly plant.

The design can't be the problem decade after decade. Factory level hand labor apparently is.
Not sure where you're going with this. I was only mentioning one little fault that doesn't detract at all from the enjoyment of the car. As for moving the factory, the E-Pace for the non-Asian markets is built in Austria at the MAGNA STEYR plant, so they aren't even JLR employees assembling them. Much of the assembly is by robot anyway. As for "The design can't be the problem decade after decade.", the E-Pace has only been around since 2017, so I'm really confused by your reply. If you're talking automobile manufacture in general not being up to the standards they were decades ago, I can see your argument. But the real problems people are having with cars today are due in large part to the technology manufactures are stuffing into them in order to keep up with other manufacturers. You don't see as many people stranded on the road as you did in the 60's and 70's because their car has broken down. The bits that make cars start, stop and go are pretty reliable, but the technology may be moving too fast for automobile manufacturers to keep up reliably. The vast majority of problems people have with modern cars are fixed with software updates and not tool boxes.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 03:46 PM

Garage
The corris grey looks great.

Outdoorsman and Car Enthusiast.
My Garage
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayquayle View Post
Not sure where you're going with this. I was only mentioning one little fault that doesn't detract at all from the enjoyment of the car. As for moving the factory, the E-Pace for the non-Asian markets is built in Austria at the MAGNA STEYR plant, so they aren't even JLR employees assembling them. Much of the assembly is by robot anyway. As for "The design can't be the problem decade after decade.", the E-Pace has only been around since 2017, so I'm really confused by your reply. If you're talking automobile manufacture in general not being up to the standards they were decades ago, I can see your argument. But the real problems people are having with cars today are due in large part to the technology manufactures are stuffing into them in order to keep up with other manufacturers. You don't see as many people stranded on the road as you did in the 60's and 70's because their car has broken down. The bits that make cars start, stop and go are pretty reliable, but the technology may be moving too fast for automobile manufacturers to keep up reliably. The vast majority of problems people have with modern cars are fixed with software updates and not tool boxes.
Obviously, I'm talking about Jaguar in general. I've known since the 70s that Jaguar is known for electrical flaws. How was it possible for me to know that if the reputation wasn't legit? How is it possible that four decades later they suffer the same stigma? Do they repeat the same mistakes by design or is their assembly at fault? How do you pull off electrical muckups for decades?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Obviously, I'm talking about Jaguar in general. I've known since the 70s that Jaguar is known for electrical flaws. How was it possible for me to know that if the reputation wasn't legit? How is it possible that four decades later they suffer the same stigma? Do they repeat the same mistakes by design or is their assembly at fault? How do you pull off electrical muckups for decades?
Practically all British manufacturers were known for electrical flaws in the 70's, and 60's for that matter. I was a mechanic in the 70's and remember a women bringing in her Spitfire that she couldn't drive at night because when she switched on her lights, the ignition cut out. That's how jokes like "Why do the Brits drink warm beer? Because Lucas manufacturers their refrigerators!" came about. Lucas the prince of darkness! It wasn't just Jaguar back then. Since Ford bought Jaguar, that hasn't been an issue and under Tata and now Tata/Chery, much the same. The electrical issues now are the issues that plague Audi and Volkswagen and Mercedes and Fiat and Volvo and Ford and pretty much all modern manufacturers; Technology. You see very few people not being able to drive their cars due to electrical faults, but you see many that have problems with their dual zone electronic climate control systems and the whiz bang 88 speaker 5KW entertainment systems. So what I'm saying is these electrical faults are much different than the ones suffered by British manufacturers in 60's and 70's and are common to most manufacturers today. Much like comparing apples to chainsaws. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Jaguar. I think they are junk when talking about long term reliability. That's why I leased for three years as opposed to buying. Even Jaguar should hold together for the length of the warranty! Hope you enjoy yours. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayquayle View Post
Practically all British manufacturers were known for electrical flaws in the 70's, and 60's for that matter. I was a mechanic in the 70's and remember a women bringing in her Spitfire that she couldn't drive at night because when she switched on her lights, the ignition cut out. That's how jokes like "Why do the Brits drink warm beer? Because Lucas manufacturers their refrigerators!" came about. Lucas the prince of darkness! It wasn't just Jaguar back then. Since Ford bought Jaguar, that hasn't been an issue and under Tata and now Tata/Chery, much the same. The electrical issues now are the issues that plague Audi and Volkswagen and Mercedes and Fiat and Volvo and Ford and pretty much all modern manufacturers; Technology. You see very few people not being able to drive their cars due to electrical faults, but you see many that have problems with their dual zone electronic climate control systems and the whiz bang 88 speaker 5KW entertainment systems. So what I'm saying is these electrical faults are much different than the ones suffered by British manufacturers in 60's and 70's and are common to most manufacturers today. Much like comparing apples to chainsaws. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Jaguar. I think they are junk when talking about long term reliability. That's why I leased for three years as opposed to buying. Even Jaguar should hold together for the length of the warranty! Hope you enjoy yours. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.
What I'm saying is the complete opposite. I owned five Ford F150 trucks and a 2017 Ford Escape. Never had a single electrical glitch with any of them. Before those I owned a BMW, Jeep, and Alfa Romeo. No electrical glitches with those either.

Sorry Jaguar.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:59 PM

Just noticed something. When I press the home button I get a screen that looks like this (see pic below):

The gray boxes are minimized menu windows. Touch one and it opens full screen.

If the home screen looks normal it's a pretty bad presentation, just saying. It resembles a bad graphics card.

I don't recall seeing this before. Is it normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.56.35 AM.png
Views:	48
Size:	585.8 KB
ID:	119  

Last edited by HiwaKika; 03-17-2020 at 02:02 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 12:43 AM

I notice the power gesture tailgate works only when it feels like it. Kind've frustrating and embarrassing if I'm trying to get it to work in a parking lot. Also, when sweeping around the car the broom set it off by surprise and opened the rear hatch. Thankfully there was nothing in the way for it to smack into. Will remember that next time.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
What I'm saying is the complete opposite. I owned five Ford F150 trucks and a 2017 Ford Escape. Never had a single electrical glitch with any of them. Before those I owned a BMW, Jeep, and Alfa Romeo. No electrical glitches with those either.

Sorry Jaguar.
I am brand new to Jaguar, so I cant really speak a lot to the past on that brand. From the readings on the E-Pace and recent newer Jaguars, the issues are mainly related to software bugs. While frustrating, I find these workable.

As far as comparing past vehicles, My Ford Explorer 2002 has all kinds of annoying electrical problems. My Toyota Corolla has a fuse box burnout. On top of that, to me overall vehicle reliability is key...okay Jaguar may have electrical, but Audi had trans problems for years.

I am not sure that building the E-Pace in Austria is an issue. From what I read, this is a good plant that produces quality in general. If the plant was bad, then we would have problems with the other brands there. I am not sure I see that.

Now...I am new to Jaguar, so I really hope that I am not dooming myself. I purchased an Infiniti G37 2009 for quality (and fun to drive). It was great but did have a fuel pump replaced at 76000 (it was 9 years old so out of any warranty).

Last edited by cllisanti; 05-08-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page