Cleaning and Waxing - Jaguar E-Pace Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Question Cleaning and Waxing

OK, so I have to ask.... I've never owned a white vehicle before. I've been a fan of Griot's Garage products for a few years now, and have used their cleaners, waxes, and leather conditioners on my Volvo and Minis. What do you use to keep your E-paces looking pristine?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I've also heard good things about Meguiar's ceramic wax, but I don't know if it's just snake oil.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 05:05 PM

Iíve not used any of the ceramic coatings personally, but others I know say they are great. I use Griotís products here in the UK as Iíve also been using them for years. Thatís almost all my Corvette has seen. My E-Pace came with the AutoGlym LifeShine and it included a collection of their products. I used them this weekend and Iím really pleased with them.

2020 E-Pace P200 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Grey
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

I had purchased a gallon of F11 Topcoat for my black Mini Clubman, but was not overly pleased with the results. It was easy enough to use, but didn't last very long. I just pulled the trigger on an order of Nexgen, which supposedly has "ceramic protection" built in. It, too, may be snake oil, but it's worth a try. It may be a good addition to a good base coat of Griot's wax.....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 09:06 AM

When I first purchased my Infiniti G37 in 2010, it was a shiny new black. Infiniti was touting their self healing paint. They did not stick with that for long. But...wanting to keep the look right, I set about trying to learn more about car paint care. I grew up washing my parents cars with dish soap from a bucket...so I needed to something better.

I wound up going to Detailed Image. Bing, DuckDuckGo, or Google that company. It will take you to a site that sells all kinds of products. The great thing about this site is the support. They have an ask the pro tab and a detailing guide tab. If you go to the detailing guide tab, it has how tos on everything about car cleaning. The other thing the site offers are reviews of products and you get to see what the pros are using.

I followed their instructions and recommendations for the car wash, exterior detailing, and interior detailing and it kept my G37 looking nice until I had a "professional" do a wax job on it...big mistake there. It looked great when I picked it up, but after the heavy wax came off, swirls were all over the place.

There as one product that they had that allowed you to do a rinse-less wash. This meant with a couple of buckets, you could wash your car in the garage in the middle of winter and stay warm. I liked that one.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllisanti View Post
When I first purchased my Infiniti G37 in 2010, it was a shiny new black. Infiniti was touting their self healing paint. They did not stick with that for long. But...wanting to keep the look right, I set about trying to learn more about car paint care. I grew up washing my parents cars with dish soap from a bucket...so I needed to something better.

I wound up going to Detailed Image. Bing, DuckDuckGo, or Google that company. It will take you to a site that sells all kinds of products. The great thing about this site is the support. They have an ask the pro tab and a detailing guide tab. If you go to the detailing guide tab, it has how tos on everything about car cleaning. The other thing the site offers are reviews of products and you get to see what the pros are using.

I followed their instructions and recommendations for the car wash, exterior detailing, and interior detailing and it kept my G37 looking nice until I had a "professional" do a wax job on it...big mistake there. It looked great when I picked it up, but after the heavy wax came off, swirls were all over the place.

There as one product that they had that allowed you to do a rinse-less wash. This meant with a couple of buckets, you could wash your car in the garage in the middle of winter and stay warm. I liked that one.
Thank you! I had a same experience taking my car to a "pro" one time. Never again. One of the reasons I traded my Mini for the Jag was to get AWAY from the black car. It had me ANGRY 95% of the time because it looke dirty so quickly...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Yeah. The Pro was a mistake. Being in SouthWest VA there were not a lot of choices. Swirls on black paint show even when you have a dirty car.

Of course, a couple of hours away was a gentleman recommended to me that always did a wonderful job on my friends white Lexus. It is about knowing the right person I guess.

I had a couple of car cleaning kits in my trunk from the purchase. I wonder if those kits are any good.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 08:08 PM

No idea why carmakers use hard plastic on lower door panels but I got a scuff already from a rubber sole hiking boot that won't remove.

The shoe comes off but not the scuff. Tried pretty much everything (except extreme measures like a heat gun) but nope.

It's a light scuff on black plastic. If carmakers use the soft stuff they use on upper panels this wouldn't be an issue. Guess that would make too much sense.

Jaguar dealer parts dept doesn't sell a spray paint for interior plastic touch-ups like Ford does ...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 11:34 AM

Sorry to hear that you have a scratch in the plastic. Do you feel that the E-Pace plastic was worse at handling the wear and tear than any other car?

I did find this on the web. https://removeandreplace.com/2014/08...erior-plastic/. Not sure I would be brave enough to try it. Maybe you want to try?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllisanti View Post
Sorry to hear that you have a scratch in the plastic. Do you feel that the E-Pace plastic was worse at handling the wear and tear than any other car?

I did find this on the web. https://removeandreplace.com/2014/08...erior-plastic/. Not sure I would be brave enough to try it. Maybe you want to try?
No. It's the same plastic most brands use.
No idea why they don't use the same soft material that's near the glass or on the dash.

Thanks for the link. The problem with using a heat gun is that heat hot enough to blend the scuff will make the plastic shiny which won't match the rest of the panel.

Your link showed another link for Scratch Wizard which I believe are the products mobile detailers use to repair minor damage. My dealership tried to sell me a slew of add-on protection packages that involve a third party company that does repairs at my location and convenience. Scratch Wizard has products for interior and exterior repairs. Good stuff to know. When I find a solution I will share it here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page