Powertrain Discussion - Jaguar E-Pace Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Powertrain Discussion

Found this info via Car and Driver and thought I should post it along with asking some questions.
Quote:
Powertrain: Like the Discovery Sport and the Range Rover Evoque, the E-Pace will use a turbocharged inline-four, likely plucked from JLR’s new Ingenium engine family. A ZF-sourced nine-speed automatic transmission will be standard and help extract the most from whatever engine Jaguar chooses; all-wheel drive, naturally, will be included.
The Range Rover Evoques turbo four pot makes 240hp. That's not much of an issue but the turbo lag does seem to be one. Even from a rolling start of 5-60mph, it took the Evoque 9.3 seconds which is pretty long.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:49 PM

It could get better since right now there's no confirmation. One way this could improve is if they offer a 10-speed transmission. Lexus is already using one and its the "new" thing for the industry when it comes to green car applications. If there's any way jag can get a better competitive edge, a 10 speed setup can help.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Heavens I don't think anyone now is using anything less than 10 gears haha. But can't see why they can't utilize a 10 or 11 speed even and it'll help greatly for the fuel econ of it. Hoping they deal with that turbo lag though.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 AM

Not even the F-Pace has a 10 gear transmission, right now it's using an 8‑speed automatic transmission. Still good enough for me so long as I don't feel any throttle lag.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

You're throttle lag doesn't come from the transmission though
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:38 AM

Thanks for pointing that out, had to look it up and it has to do with the ability of the intake system to quickly get air and fuel to the engine.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

There is that, but the biggest thing is the electronic signal that gets sent from the pedal to the throttle body to open up. Back when it was cable, it was direct because as soon as you barely tipped the pedal, the cable has the tension and immediately pulls open the throttle body plate. Now without that, the electronics aren't able to do it that well enough straight from factory.

There is a lot more of a technical explanation but generally, it's a signal thing and how they come from factory.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM

The Discovery Sport is a bit better with a time of 7.3 sec going from 0-60mph. So long as the E-Pace isn't too beefy, then accelerations shouldn't be a problem..
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

That doesn't sound too bad... I don't need a racecar by any means but having some good get up and go is always fun and very helpful in certain situations
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:30 AM

The five seater Discovery Sport has a weight of 3,878 lbs, so long as the E-Pace is around that range then it shouldn't be too slow on the uptake. Jaguar is all about performance these days, so I doubt the E-Pace will feel slow.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page